Tuesday, July 24, 2012

RIP Grandpa Cox

Yesterday was a sad day. It was the day that we lost my dear, sweet Grandpa Cox. Grandpa had drove himself to the hospital last Friday with symptoms and signs of a possible heart attack. This would be his second episode in the past 18 months.  He was scheduled for his second bypass surgery. On Saturday, Grandpa went in for surgery. After 12 hours, the doctor declared that surgery was unsuccessful and that his heart/arteries were just too damaged. They closed him up and hoped for the best...seeing if his body would sustain itself. The family had decided that if it was needed that they would NOT put him on life support.  Gradually they unhooked Grandpa from the machines.  Things were looking good and the doctor declared that Grandpa was doing better than expected.  We were hopeful that our prayers were working and that he was going to pull through. Then...yesterday, Monday, July 23, 2012..at 5 AM the phone rang.  I knew it could only mean two things...that Grandpa had woke up or that he had passed.  I'm sure you can guess which one I was praying for.  It was my Mom.  She called to tell me that my grandpa had passed.  Grandpa had told the family that if he didn't pull through that he wished to be cremated.  So...in order to fulfill the wishes of Grandpa and for me to say my final goodbye, I needed to go to the hospital. And that is exactly what I did.  I know this may seem weird, but part of my closure is seeing the body of the one that has passed...just so that I can see that their spirit has left the body, because they NEVER look like themselves as when they were alive.  Grandpa didn't look the same.  His poor body was so swollen. I will say though that his face had such a peaceful look.  He even had a small start of a smile. He had a look that made me feel like he was okay...and that he finally felt good.  When it was time to say our final goodbye, before they took the body, I stood by his bed and said "I love you Grandpa". Tears fell down my face and I could feel his presence...so much that I just put my head on his chest and gave him and ever so tight squeeze...just like he would have given me had he been alive and well.  The spirit was so strong at that time and I felt all warm, as if he was hugging me back.  It was such a special experience...one that I will never forget!
Although Grandpa was quite the traveler...and we rarely saw him as of lately, there was always that special place in my heart for him.  I have so many treasured memories of Grandpa when I was younger.  He was always so good to us..and fun to be around! One of the greatest memories, that I was reminded of by my parents was his random, totally unexpected visits.  He would show up at our house...unnanounced, open the door...without a knock or doorbell rung and shout out "ANYBODY HOME?". There was ONLY one person that ever did that...so we knew EXACTLY who it was!
When I was younger, Grandpa owned a RV Park.  He was so great to let us come and visit many times...helping around the park, swimming in the pool, helping at the Snack Shack...etc. We had great times there!
When Brock turned 1 year old...I had seen Grandpa a few days earlier (again, unexpected) and decided to invite him to the birthday celebration.  Grandpa & Grandma did in fact end up coming...with a LOAD of gifts for little Brock! Just another thing to show his love for kids...and especially HIS grandkids!

No matter where Grandpa was...we KNEW we were loved. We KNEW that when he was near, we would get a most treasured hug from him and that everything would be good! He will ALWAYS have that special place in my heart...and I truly can't wait until it stops hurting and I can see him again.  Healthy, Loving, Sweet, Chariteable, Humorous, Stubborn Grandpa...RIP, until we see each other again!!! Love you!!!

No comments: